Saturday, June 30, 2007

Independence Day




The American Embassy sponsored an Independence Day celebration, and our family went tonight with some friends. This definitley goes down as the most interesting 4th of July ever.

It was so refreshing to hear English in all the conversations and to get some of the food we haven't had in months. Our family had hot dogs (with pork in them), sloppy joes, real pepperoni pizza, Dr. Pepper, Mt. Dew, milky ways, and hersey bars. The Dr. Pepper was absolutely incredible. The very best part about the entire food experience was that I didn't have to think about what I was going to say to the cashier. Usually while I'm waiting in line I am premeditating what to say in the new language. Tonight I gave no forethought to my order. That was a nice break for my brain.

At 8:00 the "king" showed up on a motorcycle. Yes, Elvis himself entered the celebration. Elvis and his entire band took the stage. He took the microphone and yelled, "Are you ready?" with a thick Central Asian accent. Uh, "I'm not sure" was my thought. The Elvis impersonator was not American; he was a native of this country. English was definitely not his first language. When he sang, though, you could understand the words pretty well. He sang those famous Elvis songs. You know, songs like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "Twist and Shout." Really...there were more Beatles and 50's songs than actual Elvis songs. But he threw in "Hound Dog" and "Proud Mary". It was very entertaining, and we enjoyed it thoroughly!

After "Elvis" performed, Annie told some friends that she was in love with Elvis. One of the girls made fun of her because Elvis is actually dead. Annie said she didn't care; she still loved him.

The evening was capped off with a great fireworks display. I am thankful for the sweet evening we had to celebrate America's birthday when we're so far away from the states. Happy 4th of July to everyone reading this!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

We have officially committed the sin of covetness when reading about your dr. pepper!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you liked Elvis, Annie!... Rock On! I do too!