Saturday, July 7, 2007

public pool

One thing the kids have missed the most has been swimming during the summer. I knew there were swimming pools in this city, and we took a quest to find one. After asking around for a couple of weeks, we finally got a lead on a pool. This was a public pool, and as we entered the man at the gate tried his best to sell me a swim cap. I told him several times that I didn't want one. He kept pushing, and I asked him if it was required. He said no. So we went into the pool area, and every single person was wearing a swim cap in the pool. It was a really large pool, and there must have been 150 people swimming. I felt as though every eye was on us...that was great because I love for everyone to look at me in a bathing suit. We stood out because we look so foreign and we were not wearing swim caps.

Mike and the kids jumped in first. They were splashing and having fun and then a worker (I never saw a lifeguard) told Mike we all had to have swim caps. So I went back out and asked the man at the entrance for 6 swim caps. He smirked the whole time he got them for me. I went back to the pool and everyone put the caps on. We were laughing because we all looked like pirates, or our eyes were stretched because of the cap, or our ears were poking out because the cap wasn't on right. It was really a hilarious moment. Then, with all our caps on, we jumped in.

I'm not sure why they require the swim caps. I have 3 theories: to help the covered ladies out, sanitary issues, or to keep the head warm so you don't get sick (There are many fears about getting sick. For example, having a crossbreeze in your house could cause sickeness.). I actually liked the swim cap because I didn't have to get my hair out of my face every time I came up out of the water. Have you ever tried to get one of those things off the head, though? Ouch! We are just inexperienced in the swim cap business.

Sorry there's no picture with this post. I was kicking myself for not having a camera.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please, please, please put the swim caps back on and take a picture! You owe that to all of us!! By the way, what is up with D's teeth? e-mail me! Sherry

Morello Madness said...

We too were asked to wear caps in our part of the world (I think b/c it is more sanitary). Also, men not wearing speedos here are considered unsanitary as well. Not sure why. But it is perfectly acceptable to spit and snort all you want to into the water. I definately have not made a new purchase (speedo), and certainly would not put that pict on the internet if I did! Mike, I'm sure, would look cute in one. Birthday coming up? Brad :)

Unknown said...

Bathing caps!!! Oh yes, I am familiar with those!!! When my sisters and I went to an all girls school when we were young we had to take "Water ballet".... We had really cute bathing caps.... strap and all!! And yes OUCH..... when you take your cap off, some hair comes out from the roots!!!! I would love to see a picture of you all in those caps..... Next time take your camera!