Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Smart Idea, Part 1


As parents, we are often given "teachable moments" if we will take the opportunity to teach our children. Since I (Mike) am not the sharpest tool in the shed, a few fries short of a Happy Meal, and not playing with all 52 cards in the deck - I was given 2 opportunities in 15 minutes so I would not miss out on sharing.
It was an ordinary afternoon of paying bills and running errands. We have learned you are always treated nicer when you have a child with you, so I took Annie on this particular day. First, we went to pay our internet bill. I did not realize it, but I handed the lady an extra 20 dollars. Because Annie and I were talking with the office manager, I had no idea what I had done. But the lady was kind and honest - and promptly handed me back the extra money with my receipt. Second, Annie needed a new light for her turtle tank. We went to the store to buy a new one. The store owner remembered me (who can forget such a face, right?!?!) and was surprised I needed a new bulb so soon. Rather than selling me a new one, he went to his work station in the back of the store, asked Annie and I to come with him and checked the light bulb out with a gauge. As he expected, it was not a bad bulb. He told me to go home and try it again. When we did, it worked like he said it would!
20 dollars for a bill and 10 dollars for a light bulb would not have been the worst thing to ever happen to us, but Annie and I were able to discuss how we were treated and the kindness extended to us. Then, we went to find someone we could extend kindness to as well......

No comments: