Friday, March 28, 2008

2 Firsts in 1 Day!




Well, I was going to write a book but someone beat me to the title! There are days when it feels like we have been here for a long time. And then there are other days, like today, that remind me how new we are to our new home!! For example:

While at language school today, I needed to visit the necessary room. As I was walking through the door, a kind gentleman stopped me and pointed above my head. Alas, there was a sign saying this was the LADIES" restroom! It has been a men's restroom for 10+ months but no longer evidently - oops!!! Thankfully this gentleman saved me from any further embarrassment.

Then, after school I was hopping on my bus to come home. A man in front of me was waiting for his change. The man working on the bus said he had not given him any money yet. The passenger-to-be said he put $20 down. The worker said, "No you didn't!" Passenger-to-be replied, "Yes, I did!" Then, the worker started speaking at about 190 mph and I couldn't understand all he was saying. But, when he jumped out of his seat and came around to start pushing the passenger-to-be OFF the bus, it was a common universal language we could all understand. Then, they started yelling louder and continued with a mutual shoving contest. As they took turns seeing who could push whom harder, the passenger-to-be was getting shoved right off the bus. He tried to swing and kick the worker, who started saying things that I am pretty sure should not be said in any language while in public or anywhere else!

So, to sum up: I knew enough language to understand the fight on the bus but not enough to keep from walking into the ladies' restroom. Would anyone like to evaluate my language skills at this point in time?!?!?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe Mike, they KNEW you were there for language school and want to keep you hopping..... ;) Glad to know that you averted a certain cultural faux pas. Kimberly

Penny said...

So maybe they have Urban Speak even where you are? :-)