Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mike's Bracketology


Well, my favorite time of the sports year is here, though the Masters holds the 1-A slot. Since I have actually BEEN to see tournament games and a Final Four, it ranks ahead of the Masters for now. Estimated time until I see the Masters: FOREVER! In response to Lisa's comments below, here are some nuggets of wisdom from the old man in the house:
1) Even living on the other side of the world, I am trying to figure out how to avoid listening to Billy Packer at all costs! Give me Dickie V at the Final Four, please!!! In fact, I'd really prefer Tom Leach, who is the most biased "homer" calling games! He's great to listen to and we have enjoyed him numerous times this year on UK football and basketball broadcasts.
2) Even though you KNOW there will be upsets, it is almost impossible to make your pen write them down. So, of course, I have overreacted and picked too many upsets this year. Go Cinderella!!!
3) I still hope to see the day when a #16 beats a #1 seed (provided the #1 seed will not be UK).
4) When filling out a bracket, I always pick SEC teams and always pick against ACC teams.
5) I never thought I'd see the day when Drake (still don't know where it is or that they even HAD a basketball team), Davidson, Butler, Oregon, BYU, Purdue, Gonzaga, Miami, Texas A&M, Kent State, West Virginia and St. Mary's (isn't that a catholic girl's school?) would all be higher seeds than UK.
6) I never thought I'd see the day when UK football and UK baseball were ranked and UK basketball was not! (BTW: UK baseball was 19-0 and ranked #2 in the country this week!) And the football team will have a head coach named Joker in the near future.
Well, for what it's worth, my Final Four includes: UNC losing to Kansas and Memphis beating UCLA. In the final game, Memphis beats Kansas so we can all hear that horrible "One Shining Moment" song again!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, after a long day of first round games, my bracket is officially BUSTED!!! You guys are exactly right on in your bracketology. However, I will admit to something...I will sometimes pick a L'ouisville or a Duke in order to be in a win/win situation. This way, I can root for the other team, but not be completely demoralized when L'ville or Duke win. This only applies in the first round or two, though. So, basically my bracketology is one big mind game built on low expectations. YAY!! It is March!!!! Go Cats!...oh...nevermind. Sherry

Anonymous said...

Hi Folks,

Sorry we didn't win the game, however I think they did their best considering all the untoward circumstances hitting on them this year. It was sad for the seniors as it was their last chance at NCAA. Hope next year is better!
Isn't it great that via Internet you could watch the game! I love the fact that we can communicate via such long distances. Love and blessings to all of you during this
Easter time as we keep the greatest gift first in our minds.
Pat G.

Anonymous said...

Nice picks bro! It must run in the family! Haha! I had Kansas over UNC, UCLA over Memphis but I did have the winner--Kansas. Also running in the family: avoiding Billy Packer, picking too many SEC teams to win, and going to sleep before the "One Shining Moment" plays again. Uncle Brad