Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Chestnuts Roasting on Open Fire



I've sung the song all my life, and I finally got to taste a chestnut that had been roasting on a open fire. In case you're wondering what they taste like, check out the picture below of the reaction of our girls and some friends after they tasted the roasted chestnut.



Roasted chestnuts are sold on the street corners this time of year. I will try to describe the taste: warm sawdust held together by sesame paste. Mike just saw that description, and he said, "I don't know if it was that good!"


Sometimes it's just better to live in ignorance. So as you sing The Christmas Song about the chestnuts, Jack Frost, and yuletide carols, imagine that chestnuts roasting on an open fire are a wonderful delicacy. You'll never know what you're missing.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me - I've had them many times on the streets of NYC - and I love them! Maybe NYC vendors use a different seasoning of sorts....get it....seasoning....

(That's why you do English and I do Math.)

Mer

Anonymous said...

what songs was your girl singing? I loved the virtue message of determination and counting on me (dependability). Are those available for lyrics anywhere?