Monday, December 17, 2007

70's country music...it's baaaaack

Today I was at a large grocery chain, and I couldn't believe my ears. They were playing Kenny Rogers & Dottie West. I immediately had flashbacks to my mom's 8-track player and my sister and me singing all the songs. That was one of my favorite 8-tracks! (Hey Wont' You Play) Another Somebody Done Somebody Wrong Song, Let It Be Me, 'Til I Can Make It On My Own, You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling. I was lingering in the store because I was enjoying the music! I must really be experiencing culture shock to be hanging on to every song just hoping and praying it's another Kenny Rogers & Dottie West duet. The first song I heard playing in the store was She Believes in Me. The next song they played was Coward of the County. I seriously slowed my pace so I could hear the whole song. The CD switched gears from Kenny Rogers and went to Just Call Me Angel of the Morning, Angel. Another country oldie. The song Feelings followed that one. When Willie Nelson came on next, I was in the check out lane. I guess it was a Sunshine Country Hits of the 70's CD. The scary part is after I left the store I was craving more country oldies. I may go to itunes and download Kenny Rogers and Dottie West. Mike's gonna love that. Maybe I'll surprise him and have candlelight dinner with Kenny/Dottie serenading us. I'll even feather my hair.

Why in the world would country hits from the 70's even be remotely popular here???

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really enjoying reading your blog! But, I must say you are dating yourself! I have never heard any of those songs! Whew... just when I was starting to feel old cause I'm turning 30 next year - relief! I'm not so old after all! :-) - Summer

Anonymous said...

Ummmmmm....maybe they have the videos too and they like the flashy garb??? Okay, I jest. Maybe someone did a year foreign exchange in the mids 70s in S. KY or TN and really got into the country scene? Other than this, I have NO good reason? Glad you had got to two step down memory lane :)
Kimberly

Carrie said...

You only get to feather your hair if you cut bangs and feather those too. Then you'll have an excuse to go back to that store because you'll need lots and lots of hairspray!

Anonymous said...

Great! Now, I'm sitting here singing all those songs in my head ... and enjoying it!!! Guess I'm dating myself also. Lori

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you have seen Kenny Rogers in a while, but he has had major plastic surgery. I will try and send you a picture. In the meantime, just let me say that this song was written for you:
"Islands in the stream, that is what we are, no one in between-
How can we be wrong?
Sail away with me, to another world-
And we rely on each other-oh oh-"

Anonymous said...

Flashbacks here as well. It is quite funny that mom loved that music but only wanted it up loud enough to barely hear. "Turn that down!" Memory lane is a great thing. - Jay