Friday, July 20, 2007

Sparklers


Since Mike brought up the sparklers on the cake, I thought I'd tell the story behind the sparklers. I knew I wanted them on the cake; they looked really great on my neighbor's cake. So, I went to the market to buy them, but before I went I looked up the word "sparkler" in my trusty dictionary. It wasn't in my 2 pocket dicionaries; I had to get out the big daddy dictionary for this word. It was under the word "spark" and somewhere in the definition it had "-ler" and the word for what I thought was sparkler. I wrote down the word, and at the market I looked earnestly on my own so I wouldn't have to ask. After three trips through the store, I knew I'd have to ask the cashier. "Do you have (sparklers)?" Her quizzical look told me I did not have the right word for sparkler. She then asked the cashier next to her, and she shrugged her shoulders. I showed them the word written down, and they just laughed. I asked another worker in the store, and she had no idea what I was asking for. I got on my cell phone and called a friend who asked her national house helper, and we found out the correct word. For a while I thought I may be asking for a sparkplug. I had been asking for a "thing that lights up". I went back to the cashier and told her what I was really looking for. She told me they didn't sell them here. I'd have to go to a BAKERY to buy my sparklers. Who would've thought??? So I went to a bakery around the corner and asked for sparklers. Sure enough, they had them. They also had fresh lemonade and some yummy bread. The owner gave David and me some free lemonade, and I bought the bread and sparklers. And don't they look great on the cake?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK - I know this is an older post, but I was thinking about you guys this weekend and could not believe I missed the opportunity to say this to you Mike - so, here it goes: How was it being a "cake-eater" on your birthday?!? Hope it was great!!! Really miss you all. Lori