Thursday, July 12, 2007

94.5

Today I got 94.5 in my kitchen, and it wasn't 94.5 the mix (Lex radio). It is just blastin' hot in this country in July, and our apartment is no exception. We are living proof the old adage "heat rises" is true ; we live on the next-to-top floor of an apartment building. I was visiting my neighbor on the 2nd floor, and her kitchen was a balmy 87 degrees. She had a digital thermometer, and I asked if I could borrow it for my house. I told her I thought my kitchen was at least 90 degrees. So when I took it to my kitchen, I couldn't believe it kept rising to 94.5 (and this was before I turned on the stove or attempted to cook). Now having a 94.5 kitchen has some advantages; it's a great excuse not to cook. I definitely get more sympathy, and going to the air-conditioned food court in the mall is much easier to justify. In fact, that's exactly what we did tonight.

In the states we kept our thermostat around 72 degrees. My mom's house was always in the 60's (I used to get up at night and adjust it...drove her crazy). It's amazing to think that I'm living in an apartment that averages 20 degrees over that during July and August.

Air-conditioning is a fairly new phenomenon. It's just been in the past 50 years that it was introduced. Today, it is only in certain pockets of the world; the vast majority live without a.c. I know many of you who read this blog lived at one time without air conditioning. This is a first for me. So, any suggestions for beating the heat? The most interesting one I've heard is to spray my sheets with cold water before going to sleep. Hmm...a soggy bed. Any other ideas?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cabbage leaves are supposed to retain coolness. Baseball players wear them in their caps during the summer. Not sure what you could do with them. Also, keep all of your lotion in the fridge. What if you put your whole pillow in a trash bag and then put it in the freezer or fridge? Your sheets, too, for that matter.
I did not have AC in my bedroom until I was about 13. I did not know any different. Then, when I got AC, suddenly I could not live without it!(Lisa, remember our room in Maryland and how hot it was when we got there? I panicked!!) You could also stick one of those lunch bag freezer things in the bed with you. Where you put it is your business. I guess you could put it right next to your cabbage leaves. Sherry

Unknown said...

Okay Lisa that is a record "Heat wave" in the kitchen.... I do remember growing up without air conditioning.... Do you all have fans? I love the comment about the wet sheets! I read (during menapause) to put your pillow cases in the fridge to help hot flashes.... Of course I would need that kind of tip!!! Just pretend your living in the early 50's.... Maybe invest in a pair of heels, pearls, dress, and of course an apron!!!! Go girl.........

Love, Lib