Saturday, May 19, 2007

Learning to Cook



I thought I knew how to cook. That was until I didn't have all the convenience items. No cake mixes. No already made pie crust. No canned biscuits. No frozen dumplings. No pre-packaged granola bars. We are learning, and my Grandmother Tuggle would be so proud. We made these bisciuts from the recipe off the back of the Kroger's baking powder can. They looked and smelled tastier than they actually were. They were very bland. If any of you have a recipe for really good homemade biscuits, please send it my way. We can get something like buttermilk here, so I could make buttermilk biscuits.
A friend here gave me a recipe for granola bars, and they turned out pretty good. So, here's a new recipe for you:
2 c. quick-cooking oats, 1 c. all-purpose flour, 3/4 c. packed brown suger, 3/4 c. raisins, dried fruit, or choc. chips, 1/2 c. wheat germ or flax seed, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 c. walnuts, almonds, or other nuts, 1/2 c. oil, 1/2 c. honey, 1 egg, 2 tsp. vanilla extract. Line a 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil and spray with oil. Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix oil, honey, egg, and vanilla in separate bowl. Pour together and press into baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
A note: If flax seed reminds you too much of bird seed, you can grind it up in a coffee bean grinder, and then it's flax seed meal. That's what I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey sis,
I can send bisuit recipes, and a pie crust recipe! I have healthy versions and not so healthy versions. I think it's awesome that you're cooking from scratch! Much better for everybody! Can't wait to learn some tips from you, and try the granloa bar recipe. I just remembered, I have some of grandmother Tuggle's kitchen items: pastry blender, potato masher, pie server, cake pans, and twisty ties(ha ha)! Love you all, Laura

Lisa said...

I actually made those biscuits with Grandmother Tuggle's biscuit cutter. When we cleaned out her house, I grabbed it thinking some day I may attempt to make biscuits home made. Little did I know...