Saturday, May 19, 2007

2 senses - taste and smell


I like gum. They have all sorts here. When I was in the mood for some fruity gum, I bought some pomegranate -flavored gum. Little did I know it would cause my tastebuds to celebrate. It could be the best fruity gum I've ever had (it's the pink cubes on the right side of the picture). The other day I needed a breath-freshner gum, so I bought some gum that had a picture of a mint and a tree on the box. When I chewed the gum, two words came to mind - moth balls. Not that I've tasted moth balls, but if I did I imagine that's what this gum tastes like. In this country, there are 3-4 mothballs in every sink. Evidently, the moth balls keep little bugs from nesting in the drain. So I've become quite familiar with the smell of moth balls, and the white gum on the left tastes how moth balls smell.
That reminds me of a lemon tea I had in the states. I was excited about trying a new flavor, and I had a friend over to try this lemon tea with me. As we began to drink it, my friend commented that the tea tasted like furniture polish. By golly, it did! We had never actually drank lemon furniture polish, but we imagined that if we ever did, it must taste like the lemon tea. Have you ever tasted anything that reminded you of how something else smelled (even though you never actually tasted the nasty smell)?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely understand what you mean. It's a weird example, I know, but I have always felt that black-eyed peas taste like lightning bugs. I have never eaten a lightning bug, but when you catch them, they leave a distinctive (and not unpleasant) smell on your hands. The taste of black-eyed peas reminds me of that smell.

Lisa said...

Hoppin' John will never be the same (I never liked it anyway...now I think I know why).