Sunday, April 12, 2009

Top 10 Excuses for not blogging

Has it REALLY been nearly 3 months since my last post? I am shocked that anyone is still checking this blog, so count yourself as a REALLY good friend for continuing to check in. Here are my top 10 excuses for not blogging:

10. Been taking care of sick kids during the winter months. Some create their own reading spots in unusual places in the house. Some have good quality reading to keep them busy; others don't. I'm ashamed to admit I actually bought that book here.









9. Been wrapping rice, meat, and spices into grape leaves.









8. Been selling girl scout cookies. You thought they were popular in the states? Try selling them to people who haven't have access to American sweets. It's good to be a hero.









7. Been to a first dance. Sniff sniff. By the way, this is proof that Mike still remembers how to tie a tie. It's been a while, but he's still got it!












6. Been doing schoolwork with the kids. This one is CLASSIC! Emma brought it home in her backpack. I'm framing this proud piece of kindergarten work! She had to write something she does that's fun, and she explained, "WrEst2ing DaD" complete with a picture of her celebrating in victory over her dad flat as a pancake on the floor.












5. Been making friends with shepherds.









4. Been eating our new favorite vegetable. Brussel sprouts are rocking our world right now. I'm not kidding! I used to boil them to death and then put butter on them, but no one ate them. I found a new recipe, and our kids are now fighting over who gets the last ones. It was an amazing transformation. So, the basic jist is this: cover the bottom of your skillet with a thin layer of olive oil. Slice your brussel sprouts in half (you may need to take off a couple of old tattered outside leaves). Fry in skillet until nicely caramelized (fancy lingo for kind of brown). Flip. Saute just a little longer. Add salt. Wah-lah. They should be just a tad bit crispy. These are so delicious you won't believe they're brussel sprouts!









3. Been saying hello to spring.









2. Been saying hello to ice cream (ok, we never really said good-bye).









1. Been celebrating Easter!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So great to hear from you! Wow, a lot can happen in three months. Matthew had his first dance too. Where has the time gone? I love Emma's picture. Kid's can always make you smile. CoCo got me up at daybreak to go outside. It was really cool. The sky was just getting light and all of the birds were starting to sing. I immediately thought of that morning long ago and of all the hope and joy it held. I was thankful to be outside, even if it was to walk the dog. Love and special thoughts to all, LaDonna

Sara Campbell said...

Great post! Love all the pics and thank goodness our pitiful bus service is off your blog now!!!! My kids love brussel sprouts, I cook them then add olive oil and feta. I can't wait to try your recipe!

Anonymous said...

Re #8 - And I thought a box of Girl Scout cookies would be a treat for you. LOL
Sharron

Mona P said...

Thanks for giving an update! I've been missing you guys! Happy Easter!

Anonymous said...

Good to see all is doing well. Missed you!

Lori and the kids