Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Morning Rush Hour

As I stood on the bus and drove to the center of the city, I experienced
another "first" in life overseas. While the bus inched its way through
the morning rush hour traffic, cars are literally inches apart!

No worry, though, because the first rule of thumb on the road is simple: the bigger the vehicle, the more right-of-way you have. Thus, you would think a bus would be given first passage...unless there happens to be a taxi going the same way at the same time. The bus was turning a corner and the taxi wanted to make sure he was right behind the bus. The only problem: he was! And we dragged the taxi about 4 or 5 feet. Then, the fun began as the two drivers met at the scene and discussed why they were right and the other driver was wrong. After that, people on the bus started defending their driver and asked how they were supposed to get to work now that their bus couldn't take them. Horns honked and honked and honked and honked longer and in unison. For a little culture lesson, I wanted to stay but since I am having a lunch date with the prettiest lady in the city, I left to finish what needed to be done so I could enjoy lunch with my best half of the last 15+ years!

No comments: