Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Night to Remember


On Monday evening, 6 men came to our house at David's invitation. This June, he will be 13 years old (and shortly after that, his Dad will hit the big 4-0, but we will save that for another blog). To honor and challenge him as he moves into a new phase of life, we sat down and made a list of people who he knows, respects and wanted to learn from about some the biggest issues in life. He chose 6 men here and 15 family and friends in the US. They each were asked to write a letter about what it means to be a godly man. Each man was given a second topic about one of the big issues, such as: money, balancing time with all of life's demands, friendship, girls/dating/marriage, how to grow in your daily walk with the Lord and finding your calling in life.
These men came to encourage David to seek out His best in all areas of life. I challenged him to realize that as he gains more freedom in his life, he will also be given greater responsibility. I will move more from being a teacher to being a coach in his life. I had told David several times that I hoped it would be a milestone in his life that he would always remember. As he went to bed that night, I told him I never thought it would be a night I would always remember too! One of the last things I told him was, "This is my son, in whom I am well pleased!"

1 comment:

Sara Campbell said...

Glad to be a part and praying all our children walk in His ways...