Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Rain

Yesterday showed promise of rain. It was mid-morning, and the dark clouds gathered and the winds picked up. It hasn't rained in months, and what a relief it would be to the sun-soaked land and to our souls as well. So we watched and waited.

It was early afternoon and the weather still held promise. The winds were telling us of a change, and doors were slamming all throughout the house as a sign. I studied the sky, and it sure looked like some other parts of the city might be getting rain, so we eagerly waited for the drops to fall in our neighborhood.

Late afternoon came, and I was still holding out hope. The overcast sky remained, a much-welcome change for this mid-August day. On my occasional trips to the balcony to enjoy the cooler breeze, I anticipated and begged the heavens to pour upon this dry and dusty land.

In early evening, just before the sun set, a few drops fell right on our street. It was a silent rain. You could barely see it, you definitely could not hear it, but if you stood in the open you could feel it. I held my arm off my balcony and felt five drops sporadically hit my skin. And that was it. The rain evaporated from the street as quickly as it fell. Ten minutes later there was no sign of rain. Just overcast skies.

The rest of the evening brought in a little cooler weather, but the people and the land are still crying out for rain. All day we were teased with hope but only received a drop of relief. This is where I live.

Let. it. rain.

No comments: