Monday, November 26, 2007

Birthday Kisses



At Emma's preschool one of her classmates had a birthday. This was our first time to experience a birthday party at preschool, and I was excited that the teacher welcomed me to come. We had the cake, cookies, and juice boxes. Then, they played several versions of musical chairs. Lastly they made a special chair for the birthday child. One at a time, each student was called to give the birthday boy the heart that he/she colored and each child said, "Happy Birthday"(see above picture). After he received the heart, the child kissed the birthday boy on the cheek. Then, the birthday boy gave his friend a goody bag and the child responded with "Thank you." Next. Same scenario. Next. They all knew the drill. Emma was dreading it. She whispered to me, "I don't want to kiss him." The time was quickly drawing near for the teacher to call Emma's name.

Emma was the very last one to be called. I had been coaching her on what to do. I agreed to walk to the birthday boy with her...all eyes on us. We got up there, and Emma refused to kiss the birthday boy. She handed him her heart, but she was not going to kiss him. And Emma can stand her ground. He was stunned. Every other child in class had kissed his sweet little face. He even knew how to turn his cheek to help out each little friend. He had his precious cheek turned for her, but no smackeroo. I leaned down and kissed his face and told him Happy Birthday. He handed Emma a present, and she was still in her mode, and she was too shy to say thank you. I told him thank you. Above is a picture of Emma and the birthday boy she refused to kiss. Below is an interview with Emma about the episode.


Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Share Photos - Free Video Hosting

2 comments:

Hope said...

Oh my gosh. Sweet little Emma. I don't blame her at all! Did she say "ok, but not on the lips" at the end? That is too cute.

The Minstrel said...

Emma!!....I love that little girl...Happy Birthday sweetheart!