Friday, August 24, 2007

New Haircuts














The girls and I have not had haircuts since early April. For those of you women reading, you understand the special relationship that is shared between a woman and her hairdresser. It's a relationship that develops over time, and she knows your hair and your likes. I've had the same hairdresser in KY for 14 years, so the thought of finding a new hairdresser in a completely different part of the world is something I've been avoiding. Men do the majority of the hair-cutting in this society, and I prefer a woman to cut my hair. There ARE a few places where only women work and only women are the patrons. This is mainly for the more conservative ladies, especially ladies who cover their head. My neighbor needed a haircut, and she goes to a women-only place, and she was happy to take us. I drove us all to this back-alley apartment building where the salon was on the 3rd floor. The girls kept asking if we were going to someone's house. Once we were inside, the women were excited to see the fine-haired, light-colored American hair. Abby was the biggest hit. Over here you have to talk in terms of centimeters (the rest of the world is on the metric system), and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how many cm were in an inch. I showed the hairdresser approx. an inch. Well, that woman got happy with Abby's hair, and she whacked off several inches. Maybe she was having fun feeling the texture. I think her hair looks darling, but Abby doesn't care for how short it is. Annie was next. I made it very clear that Annie only wanted the dead ends off, and this lady did a great job. Annie is very happy with her hair cut. I was last. I handed the lady a picture of Meg Ryan, and I was hoping to walk away looking like Meg Ryan. Oh, well. How many Central Asian women does it take to cut an American woman's hair? Three. One to prepare it (with a spray bottle and comb). One to cut it. One to style it. I'm happy with my haircut. I wanted it short since it's been so hot. Next time I may attempt to get a few highlights. They call it "painting" the hair, and it is very common here. With this blog I'm also attaching a picture of David's latest haircut. His hairdresser is none other than moi. I cut David's hair on the balcony. David's wearing his Bengals jersey in this picture. Right now he's at a friend's house for the draft for his fantasy football team. He and Mike are going to have a team in a league with several other guys in town.


In case you're wondering why the picture of me is blurry, we've been having this problem with the camera. We took at least 20 pictures of me, and every single one was blurry. It got to be really funny because I was being still and the picture-taker was holding his/her hand steady, but they kept coming out blurred. I was giggling in all the pictures. Mike, Abby, and Annie all attempted to take a non-blurry picture. This is the one Annie took, and I finally just went with it. It's funny how I can take a sports picture and it will be clear, and when I'm sitting entirely still we can't get one clear picture.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Abby,
Cool haircut!
Love,
Janelle

Anonymous said...

Annie and Abbey - your hair is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Great cuts!!!Joshua has decided he doesn't need his hair cut anymore. LIttle does he know that it's not his decision. You all look wonderful. Abby, I like the shorter cut. Of course, you always look adorable, so any cut will be beautiful on you. Annie - just to sweet. David - Mom's doing a great job. Lisa - Is the blurry on purpose?:):) Just kidding - looks great and cool!
Love - Lori, Elizabeth, Joshua and Dutch

Unknown said...

so i really miss this family...
please tell all i said hello