Wednesday, September 10, 2008

REAL popcorn

While in the village over the weekend, we hit the local open-air fruit and vegetable market. Beside all the fresh jams made by the village ladies (I bought some strawberry jam made from little mountain strawberries...yummy yum) was a bag of popcorn. I had never had real popcorn from dried corn before. Hmmm. I asked a friend if she thought it was popcorn, and she said yeah, it looked like it. So I paid a dollar for a bag of popcorn. I got in the van, and the kids were pumped that we were going to have popcorn that night. We were already planning on a movie, so I was thrilled to have found real, totally from scratch popcorn.

We got the kids settled in for a movie, and I grabbed a kettle to pop the popcorn. We put the oil in it, added some salt, and then we poured in the real popcorn. Mmmmm...smelled like popcorn. 5 minutes later simmering in hot oil it still smelled like popcorn, but no pop. 10 minutes later it had a nice aroma, but no pop. 10 more minutes, and I'm pretty sure this popcorn ain't gonna pop. It started to have that nice burnt smell with some dark smoke and no pop.

I'm pretty sure I bought chicken feed. No matter how long you cook it, it won't pop.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am still smiling as I type this. I am sorry about your pop corn but this story is funny. Could some real pop corn be sent in a goody box? I enjoy hearing your stories. Please tell all hello. Take care, LaDonna

Anonymous said...

What a bummer! At least you had the movie. I admire your adventurous spirit, though. You weren't sure it was popcorn, but you tried.
Sharron

Lisa said...

We can buy popcorn here, so no need to send it. I had just never seen it at the bazaar before, so I thought it was the real deal. They have microwave popcorn, but it's about 2 dollars for one bag. Not many people here have microwaves, so most people pop popcorn on the stovetop.