Monday, September 22, 2008

Linguistic Thoughts

Languages are interesting. I'm not a linguist, but I am really curious about how much a country's language reflects its values as well. For example, right now in my language study I'm studying cause and effect. In English I would say "I'm wearing a jacket because I'm cold" or "I'm eating lunch because I'm hungry." However, in the language I'm learning I would reverse the order and say "Because I'm cold I'm wearing a jacket" or "Because I'm hungry I'm eating lunch." It has been very difficult in my mind to think in reverse order while also thinking of the correct vocabulary, verb tense, etc. So as I've been thinking of the cause and effect order of sentences, I think why Americans say the result first is because we like the Bottom-Line-Up-Front. Just tell me what's going on, and then give me all the reasoning. Just tell me the main idea. Whereas here, one would probably give you a lot of reasoning and explanation before you get to the bottom line. Maybe I'm overevaluating things, but I'm just trying to reason these languages out.

Another big difference is how we address strangers. I've been called "aunt", "big sister", "dear", and "sister" by complete strangers, almost daily. In the states I wouldn't address a stranger by any of those titles. I prefer the sweet titles I'm called here, as opposed to ma'am or misses.

So that's it for my linguistic thoughts for today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. In Spanish, you tell someone what you're talking about before you tell them what you think of it---muchacha bonita would translate as girl pretty. Here, we tell you what we think about it before IT is even identified. So, not only are we bottom-line-up-front, we're also quick to share our opinion. :-)