Saturday, October 6, 2007

Fish heads


The other day I was at an open-air market with a national friend. She told me she wanted fish for dinner, so we headed towards a fish section. At the fish markets, you see all the fish sitting on ice and you pick your fish. I told my friend that we Americans are kind of weird, and we like our fish cleaned, without bones and just the meat. She told me that the fish market would clean my fish for free. We haven't had fish in over 6 months, so this sounded great to me. I picked out the same fish my friend picked out, and we went to the back to get them cleaned. While in the back, Emma stood there holding her nose the entire time. Their version of cleaning was to slit the belly and empty the guts. Done. I still got the head and tail. On the way home, I again told my friend how weird we Americans are. We don't like to eat food that can look at us. She said it is a very respectful thing to serve guests fish with the head still attached. After I got home I chopped off the head and tail. I wasn't serving it to any guests. Some of my American friends here are too grossed out to buy fish; I guess growing up on Lake Cumberland is paying off. However, I have no idea what fish I bought, though I'm pretty positive it's a saltwater fish. If it's not on a Red Lobster menu or out of a Kentucky lake, I'm clueless on fish. So, for those fishermen out there, take a look at these fish. What did I buy?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So how did it taste??? When I first met Andy's parents, she fixed a whole catfish fried...tail and all....interesting dinner for the first time meeting ;)

Kimberly

Lisa said...

I actually haven't eaten them yet. Mike was out of town, and I wanted to wait 'til he was home to cook them. My prediction is they'll taste fishy. Andy's mom had an interesting choice for a first meal. I guess you had to eat it since it was the first official meeting. Maybe it was a test?

Lisa said...

I put them in the freezer...I failed to mention that.