Friday, May 22, 2009

No training wheels for Emma

I remember where my first born learned to ride his bike without training wheels. We'd been contemplating for weeks when to take them off. We picked the least hilly spot in the neighborhood. It was in a cul-de-sac of small town Kentucky. Mike unscrewed the training wheels, and we headed out. I carefully held onto the handlebars to stabilize the bike as David pedaled. Then, I'd let go and run alongside him for a few feet, and then I'd grab the handlebars when the bike looked too wobbly. We repeated this numerous times until he was steady and secure.

It was pretty much the same story with Abby and Annie, and then came Emma.

Emma has asked me for 2 weeks to please get the training wheels off her bike (that has an un-inflatable flat tire that hasn't made it to the bike shop). Since the bike is unable to be ridden due to the un-inflatable flat tire, I haven't bothered to take off the training wheels.

Now I know she's been a little bothered about the training wheels thing. She has 3 siblings who don't need training wheels. And, gasp, she has a friend a year younger who does not need training wheels. And she has good-for-nothing parents who won't get her blasted bike repaired!

Today I was at a friend's house visiting in the kitchen. Emma was outside playing. After a few rounds of tea, I looked off the balcony to check on Emma. I saw this cute little child riding a bicycle. I did a double take. It was EMMA on a bike without training wheels. Riding like a pro. Not even wobbly. First time ever to try a bike without training wheels. I nearly jumped off the balcony to congratulate her!

Hopefully my first 3 kids have fond memories of hearing mommy's voice from behind yelling, "You can do it! You're riding! Keep pedaling! Keep pedaling! I'm not holding on. Oh no, I'm coming, honey!" Not Emma. That little independent, determined kindergarten kid took matters into her own hands (or feet). She will remember a voice calling from a balcony above, "Oh my WORD, Emma, you're riding a bike! You taught yourself!" Sometimes you just gotta "do it". I'm proud of that little kid. I like her style.

P.S. We'll post pictures once the good-for-nothing parents get the bike functioning (with good tires and NO training wheels).

2 comments:

Nano said...

That's my girl!!! Go Emma!! We need to see pics of you riding! Uncle Brad is here and is getting ready to take someone somewhere in his limo!!! I love you!!! PS I just learned to blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DGR said...

Woo Hoo Emma! That was a great video. Girl you are sostrong and brave! Loved the way you told the story Lisa. OUr kids always surprise us, don't they?