Monday, August 6, 2007

My Helper


Once a week I have a house helper who cleans, cooks, and helps with the kids. When I am in language lesson, she cares for the kids. This lady is an excellent cook. She can make soup out of anything in your fridge or pantry. She makes a really good bulgar pilaf (it tastes similar to Spanish rice). The "red rice" is Emma's favorite. One time she made a popular national dish - it's tortellini-like dumplings filled with meat and rice. It is served with a marinara-type sauce. Today she made some zucchini cakes. The smell was so yummy, and they were delicious! She basically mixed together shredded zucchini, cheese, tomatoes, flour, egg, salt, pepper, and mayonaise. Then she fried them in a skillet. Of course, she never uses a recipe so I couldn't give you the exact amount. My helper usually stays from 9-5. She knows very little English, so I get plenty of language practice. Today she actually understood something I said, and it caused such joy that I did a little dance in the other room. It felt good!

No comments: