Sunday, October 25, 2009

Best way to drink a diet coke

In honor of the college basketball season gearing up, I will demonstrate the best way to drink diet coke. Drinking it this way has a bit of nostalgia. My grandmother used to keep these little coke bottles in her cellar. In the 70's and 80's my sister and I would run with excitement to get our very own bottles of coke. First, grandmother would put a little sweat band on the bottom of the bottle so it wouldn't leave a mark on her furniture. Then, grandmother would give us a bendy straw, and we'd slurp it dry. We'd take the glass bottles to the grocery and get money for turning the empty ones in. They sell the little bottles of coke here, and from time to time I buy them for sentimental reasons.

The only bottle opener I have here is the one I packed in my suitcase. My dad gave it to me for Christmas one year, and since he's no longer with us, I especially enjoy using it and thinking of him. So, as the old saying goes, "Have a coke and a smile."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember little Cokes and returning empty bottles to receive your return deposit. When I was growing up, they cost 5 cents and you got them out of a cooler. On my 25 cent allowance, I could have a Coke and a candy bar TWICE and have money left over. Times surely have changed! They still sell little Cokes here, too, but I don't get them unless they have something special on them (Nascar, UK, etc.). I'm glad you buy them once in awhile. Reminiscing is nice.
Sharron L.