Monday, September 3, 2007

Emma the Strong


Emma had her first day of preschool...all in a foreign language! We were all psyched for her first day of preschool. The older three encouraged her, and she even got the red plate, so there was no question it was a special day. When she arrived at her preschool, the teachers lavished love on her and made her at ease. She bid us farewell with a hug and a kiss, and then she trooped right into the room with the dalmation doggy carpet. After I got home, I had some time before my language tutor arrived. I took the time to say prayers for my children. It pretty much started like this, "Lord, I know you are with my children. You always are. But I'm a mom, and I just have to ask..." And on went the prayers for His presence, protection, comfort, peace, etc. It was a sweet time, and afterwards I had tremendous peace about preschool. I checked my email, and a friend wrote me to say she was praying for Emma today. She then said, "Emma means strong." I cried when I read that, and I prayed she would live up to her name. I couldn't wait for 12:30 to get here so I could pick her up and see how the day went.

As I approached the room, Emma saw me and yelled, "Mommy!" and came running to the door with arms open wide. What a feeling! She was so excited to see me and tell me about her day. The teacher told me that Emma seemed to understand everything she said. Emma enjoyed her day. They did lots of fun things. There was one little girl who wasn't kind to Emma, but it seems the teacher handled the situation well. Emma's excited to go back on Wed.

After preschool I took Emma out for a celebration lunch. We went to McDonald's in a food court at the mall. After we had lunch, she rode an elephant, Wild West horse, and a safari jeep (all with tokens). We capped off the day with a Mocha Frappuccino from Starbucks. We put two straws in it to share (though Emma needs to work on the sharing part). Now I know some of you may be tempted to leave a comment on the damaging effects of Starbucks on a four-year old. I would've never done it with my firstborn. This was my baby, and it was her first day of preschool in a foreign county in a foreign language. Today she was Emma the Strong!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Emma!!! I know if Stephen had been with you he would have shared the drink from Starbucks. His Grammie has taught him how to LOVE coffee!!!

We're all so proud of you here. You surely were strong and courageous. What an adventure you are beginning! I sure wish I was learning how to speak another language. You will be so smart by the end of this school year.

Love you bunches and send huge hugs your way.

Mrs. Davis - for all the Davis gang!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Little Emma- I remember the day you were born! What a joyous day that was! Who would ever believe that you would be attending preschool so many miles away? I know that you will make friends with the person who was not kind to you. You know why? Because you are Emma, and you are special, just like your red plate says. We will all be thinking of you as you learn and make new friends. We can't wait to hear all about it! But please tell us in English, because we are not as smart as you!! Love you SOOOO much- Mrs. Sherry and the Thompson bunch

Anonymous said...

Emma you are just the cutest little preschooler that I have ever seen. We love you so much. You are going to learn and have a lot of fun this year. We cannot wait to hear more about your adventures.

Tell Mommy to let you try some Orange Creme Soda the next time!!!

The Taylors